Thursday, September 21, 2017

Design Transfer: Gelli Plate & Packaging Tape

Today I experimented with laying down acrylic paint patterns on my large Gelli plate.  It took some time for each layer/color to dry so I walked away, checking back often until the appearance was matte instead of shiny. I purposefully left some "blank" space so that whatever background I might use later would show through.
I forgot that the paint I applied first to the Gelli Plate would be at the bottom of the layering and wouldn't show up as well as if I had applied it last.  

The first layer was gold paint rings inside each other.  Next I added gold dots with the end of a small paintbrush handle.  Using a soda bottle cap, I filled the center of the smaller circles with pink paint.

Blue stripes were made easy by cutting paper strips, laying them down parallel to each other like a mask with space in between and then painting with a brush.  A medium brush was used for bright yellow "squiggly" lines.
There are small black quotation marks applied with a very thin brush.  Some plastic webbing pressed into black paint added grid designs.  Last of all, a large brush made the wide stripes of green paint.
I covered part of the dry design with a strip of heavy duty clear packaging tape, pressed it down and burnished with a plastic card and my finger.  Carefully peeling off the tape revealed the design transfer.  I laid the tape strips out, sticky side up until I decide what to do with them.
I think I would try this again with different colors, different shapes, different arrangements.

No comments: